Undergraduate Program in Mechanical Engineering welcomed its first students in September 2009. The first structuring of curriculum was carried out under the guidance of ABET criterion with the examination of leading mechanical engineering schools in the world and Turkey, in accordance with remaks of all stakeholders and consultants. Our Department also includes Bologna standarts in its structures. In the light of a new assessment phase conducted in 2014, we decided to be reviewed by MÜDEK (Association for Evaluation and Accreditation of Engineering Programs)
The missions of the Department of Mechanical Engineering are to educate effective engineers and scientists with an entrepreneurial and researcher's spirit, who are equipped with fundamental scientific and technical knowledge and ability to use modern technologies which are essential in the design and development of new theories and technologies for the realization of the devices, systems and processes needed by the society and the industry, and to conduct fundamental and applied research in collaboration with the industry and other institutions to reach new information needed by the society and essential for the design and production of advanced technological products and processes.
Our graduates will be able to
Work as mechanical engineer, researchers or managers in national or international companies,
Pursue master's or doctoral degrees in mechanical engineers, or a related field, in gradute schools worldwide, and eventually hold faculty positions in academia, and
Develop new products based on advances in mechanical engineering related fields and/or start new high-tech companies.
Our students will acquire the below knowledge, abilities and behaviors by the time of their graduation.
1. Ability to communicate effectively and write and present a report in Turkish and English.
2. Ability to work individually, and in intra-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary teams.
3. Recognition of the need for life-long learning and ability to access information, follow developments in science and technology, and continually reinvent oneself.
4. Knowledge of project management, risk management, innovation and change management, entrepreneurship and sustainable development.
5. Awareness of sectors and ability to prepare a business plan.
6. Understanding of professional and ethical responsibility and demostrating ethical behaviour.
Faculty of Engineering Specific Outcomes
7. Knowledge of engineering problems of the era, global and societal impact of engineering solutions on health, environment and safety and their legal consequences.
8. Knowledge of current engineering applications and standards used in engineering applications.
9. Ability to identify, formulate and solve complex engineering problems and ability to select and apply proper analysis and modeling methods for this purpose.
10. Ability to design a complex system, process, device or product to meet desired needs within realistic constraints and conditions by employing modern design tools.
11. Ability to develop, select and employ modern techniques and tools and use information and communication technologies needed for engineering practice.
12. Ability to design and conduct experiments, gather data and analyze and interpret results for investigating engineering problems.Mechanical Engineering Specific Outcomes
13. Adequate knowledge in mathematics, science and subjects pertaining to computer science and ability to use this knowledge to solve complex engineering problems.
14. Knowledge of chemistry and depth of knowledge in mathematics based physics , as well as knowledge of advanced mathematics covering multivariate calculus and differential equations
15. Knowledge of linear algebra and statistics.
Mechanical Engineering Specific Outcomes
16. Ability to analyze, design and realize thermal systems and mechanical systems using modern experimental and computational methods.
17. Breadth of knowledge in mechanical engineering encompassing manufacturing methods, drawing, statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, solid mechanics, fluid mechanics , heat transfer, materials science, mechanical systems and control, modern experimental and computational methods.
18. Depth of knowledge in one of the mechanical engineering areas of advanced materials, energy technologies or mechatronics .